Apologies, but no results were found.
PhysicsOffice Hours: PHYS 231: Tuesday 10:00 -11:00 AM, and PHYS 301: Tuesday 1:00 - 2:00 PM
Brain Physics (Neurophysics); Neuroscience; Neural Networks; EEG & fMRI; Graph Theory, and Neuroeducation
Courses & Teaching
PHYS 231 and PHYS 301
Since completing my PhD in Neurophysics (Brain Physics) at the Department of Physics of Washington University in St. Louis, USA, I have conducted 4 years of postdoctoral fellow at the Faculty of Medicine of University of Ottawa. Due to my interest in teaching and delivering physics concepts based on the latest findings of Neuroscience in education (Neuroeducation), I have started teaching undergraduate physics courses from 2008 to 2020 at the University of Ottawa as a Part-time and Adjunct Professor.
From 2010 to 2018 I was an assistant professor at the Babol Noshirvani University of Technology, where I served as the chair of the Department of Physics for 2 years and as the director of undergraduate physics laboratories for 4 years. I have a great interest of connecting my undergraduate students to research and innovations. My undergraduate students and I have more than 10 registered patents and 3 startups.
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Ottawa, Canada, 2006-2010
PhD Washington University in St. Louis, USA, 2006
MSc Washington University in St. Louis, USA, 2002
MSc University of Tehran, Iran, 1999
BSc (Hon.) Amikabir University of Technology, Tehran, Iran, 1996
Research Interests & Projects
EEG and fMRI data processing and modeling; Graph theoretical brain network analysis
Selected Publications & Presentations
- Luksch H., Khanbabaie R., Wessel* R., Synaptic dynamics mediate sensitivity to motion independent of stimulus details, Nature Neuroscience, 7:380-388, doi:10.1038/nn1204,. 2004.
- Mahani* A.S., Khanbabaie R., Luksch H., Wessel R., Sparse Spatial Sampling for the Computation of Motion in Multiple Stages, Biological Cybernetics, 94: 276-287, doi:10.1007/s00422-005-0046-4, 2006.
- Khanbabaie R., Mahani A.S., Wessel* R., Contextual Interaction of GABAergic Circuitry with Dynamic Synapses, Journal of Neurophysiology, 97: 2802–2811, doi:10.1152/jn.00918.2006, 2007
- Khanbabaie* R., Nesse W., Longtin A., Maler L., Kinetics of Fast Short-Term Depression are Matched to Spike Train Statistics, Journal of Neurophysiology, 103: 3337-3348, doi: 10.1152/jn.00117.2010, 2010
- Babakhani* A., Baleanu D., Khanbabaie R., Hopf Bifurcation for a Class of Fractional Differential Equations with Delay, Nonlinear Dynamics, DOI 10.1007/s11071-011-0299-5, 2011
- Khanbabaie R., Jahanshahi* M., Revolutionary Impact of Nanodrug Delivery on Neuroscience, Current Neuropharmacology, 10 (4), 370-392 (23), doi: 10.2174/157015912804143513, 2012
- Khanbabaie* R., A Mechanism Underlying the Polarity detection of Sensitive Plant, mimosa Pudica, International Journal of Engineering: Transaction A: Basics, 29 (1), 132-136, doi: 10.5829/idosi.ije.2016.29.01a.18, 2016
- Rayatnia A., Khanbabaie* R., Common Spatial Patterns Feature Extraction and Support Vector Machine Classification for Motor Imagery with the SecondBrain, International Journal of Engineering, 32 (9), 1284-1289, 2019
- Naseri M., Jouzizadeh M., Tabesh M., Malekipirbazari M., Gabdrashova R., Nurzhan S., Farrokhi H., Khanbabaie R., Mehri-Dehnavi H., Bekezhankyzy Z., Gimnkhan A., Dareini M., Kurmangaliyeva A., Islam N., Crape B., Buonanno G., Cassee F., Amouei Torkmahalleh M., The impact of frying aerosol on human brain activity, Neurotoxicology, 74:149-161, 2019
- A spatial profile difference in electrical distribution of resting-state EEG in ADHD children using sLORETA, Jouzizadeh M., Khanbabaie* R., AH Ghaderi, International Journal of Neuroscience, 1-9, 2020
Selected Grants & Awards
Nominee for the Part-time Professor of the Year Award, Department of Physics, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada, 2019
Winner of Excellence in Research Award, Babol Noshirvani University of Technology, Babol, Iran, 2018
Excellence in Teaching Award, Babol Noshirvani University of Technology, Babol, Iran, 2017
Part-time professor, University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Head of the Physics Hands-On Project Competition (PHOPC)