We welcome you to the Department of Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, and Statistics. Our department encompasses a research-intensive collaborative environment where faculty members work with the university, governmental, industry, and non-profit organizations to tackle the most pressing scientific questions facing our local and global community.
Our mission as a department is to provide exceptional educational leadership in teaching our next generation of students and undertake cutting-edge research with like-minded partners to push forward scientific and societal progress that is locally relevant and globally impactful. Our students, administrative staff, and faculty members form the core mandate of this mission.
We invite you to explore our department and hope you consider joining us on our beautiful campus. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
DEPARTMENT AT A GLANCE
In Research Funding (since 2005/06)
Funded Projects (since 2005/06)
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT
UBC Okanagan offers a world-class, globally recognized degree at a smaller and more intimate campus.
Students can generally expect smaller class sizes and greater access to their professors, while gaining the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research and projects.
Our department explores diverse topics and offers unique synergies between fields. From artificial intelligence and optimization to radiation oncology physics and computational statistics, we’re discovering exciting new knowledge right here in the heart of the beautiful Okanagan valley.
Department of Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics and Statistics Awards since 2015
Ramon Edward Lawrence
- Killam Teaching Prize, 2020.
- EURO Excellence in Practice Award 2019, 3,000 euros.
- The Systems Society of India Raj Kumar Varshney, 2019.
- The Systems Society of India Young Scientist Award (under age of 40), 2017.
- Best Paper Award for Journal of Global Optimization, 2017.
- CAIMS Cecil Graham Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2016.
- Winner for EURO Excellence in Practice Award, 2019 (joint with Dr Lucet).
- Canadian Society of Information Theory (CSIT) Best Paper Award, 2018.
- Sylvia Fedoruck Prize for top paper in Medical Physics in Canada, 2016.
- Chikio Hayashi Award for Young Researchers, the International Federation of Classification, 2017.
- Distinguished Service Award. Statistical Society of Canada, 2021.
- UBC International Program for the Scholarship of Educational Leadership (SoEL), UBC Provost’s Office, covered the cost of the program, 2019.
- “Excellence in Teaching Award”, Babol Noshirvani University of Technology, Babol, Iran, 2018.
- The Provost’s Teaching Honour Roll, University of British Columbia Okanagan, 2017/2018.
- Distinguished Dissertation Award, the Classification Society, 2015.
- Award for Impact of Applied and Collaborative Work. Statistical Society of Canada, 2020.